Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Surgery

Well, it's done! I am in bed now recovering from my laproscopic tubal and uterine ablation. No more kiddos for me! I think I've tried every birth control option out there.  I was always so horrible at trying to remember to take the pill (which is why Addy is here haha) I didn't like the patch, and the IUD was uncomfortable, so I had it taken out. That didn't leave us with many reliable options so we decided to just take care of it permanently and while my deductible was fulfilled this year.


Being a surgical nurse, it was weird being on the other end of things. The last thing I remember it was 11:00am and I was moving over to the operating room bed and the anesthesiologist putting the mask over my face to breath some oxygen. Then I was out. The surgery was only about 30 min from asleep to awake time. Im such a light weight when it comes to medicines cause I rarely drink alcohol. You can always tell the patients who are heavy drinkers, they are hard to put to sleep. I remember waking up in the holding area with matt right next to me. The nurse said "Wow, you are finally awake! That medicine knocked you out for a long time." I looked at the clock and it was 4:00pm! I couldn't believe it. I was supposed to be home by now. Apparently after the surgery, my nausea was so horrible in the recovery room that they had to give me a ton of phenergan and zofran. They "maxed me out" actually. I don't remember any of it which is great. I am so sensitive me meds that with them giving me so much I was out cold for a long time. I haven't slept that good since before I had kids! THREE YEARS!!! haha.

My wonderful mother volunteered to watch Addy and Sawyer overnight!!!  I was nervous since this is the first time Sawyer spent the night away from me and also because I didn't really have a chance to discuss his sleeping habits and routine with my mom since I didn't know she would have them.  I wanted to remind her that he should sleep on his back and that he doesn't need any extra blankets at night (they keep their house very warm) and that he will probably only eat once in the dead of night and would just wake up early in the morning to eat. Sure enough,  he woke up at three and then again at 6 to eat. No big deal. Everything went great.


I am so glad everything went ok and God took care of me and my family. I am about to fall asleep on the key board haha so I better go. The anesthesia takes a while to completely ware off apparently. Sawyer has been sleeping ALL DAY LONG and I just figured out why...I'm taking hydrocodone (the lowest dose possible) and it makes babies drowsy. Both the pharmacist and the surgeon said it was ok to take as long as Sawyer is kept a close eye on and doesn't get too sleepy. I've tried to take just one tablet instead of two so he doesn't get too sleepy. I wish he slept like this all the time! Haha!

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way when it comes to medicine like that. I always get extremely sick. Thank the Lord for zofran. :) Praying your recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you recover fast and everything heals up well! You're the second friend I've had to get her tubes tied this year.... I'm trying to talk Justin into getting a 'you know what' as my cycle is just now coming back and it's much cheaper than a tubal since we have crappy insurance. And I'm the same way as you are with pain/sleeping medicine, even 1 tablet of Benadryl knocks me out cold for 4-6 hours! haha! Enjoy your time at home getting lots of kisses and cuddles from your sweet Sawyer!

    ReplyDelete