Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dagger to the heart

Ok so i have decided that we are not dealing with this "getting out of bed issue" by locking Addy in her room anymore. I felt like the evil stepmother locking Cinderella in her room in the dark all night. There have to be other ways! How horrible was I to pull up a chair for two hrs last night and literally hold the outside of the door knob. All that did was make her (and me!) more upset and get less sleep. She never fell asleep. She just kept getting up and seeing if it was still locked ever few min and crying dramatically for me! At one point, I think it was about 2:30, she said that she had a poopie diaper. Well, she has done this before just to get me to unlock the door and come in the room. So I ignored it. At about 3am she got up and said again that she had a poopie diaper. I thought to myself, well, what if she really does have one? How can I know for sure unless I check? I would never want her sleeping in that all night! So I went in and she immediately ran to me like she had not seen me in years and said "I was crying mommy! Did you hear?" (dagger #1 to the heart) I said " Yes baby, I heard you. I was right outside the whole time"! That's when I smelled it. She DID have a poopie diaper!!! (dagger #2 to the heart). I'm such a horrible mom!!!

That was when I decided that locking her in her room was not the best option. And there has to b more options... I have, of course, prayed about it first, but that doesn't mean I can't do some research and try out a few things maybe someone else has done that might work.

I decided that I would just climb in bed with her instead of her getting in bed with us. Well, her mattress is great for her but a very pregnant woman with back pain, it only makes it worse. BUT, it worked. After a full hour of me rubbing her back and giving her kisses, she fell asleep. She was so tired that I was able to very nosily and cumbersome-ly (is that a word?) attempt to roll out of her bed. She didn't even move. Success!!!! So I hobbled/wobbled to my bed and fell into sleep quickly...only to be woken up an hour and a half later by my alarm. Nice. Matt was sure to point out that it defeats the purpose of me getting any sleep if I have to sleep in her bed. The point is for everyone to b in their own bed. This I was aware of but I was tired and had to go to bed so I did what I thought was best.

As I was leaving for work at 6am when Addy came running out of her room and said she wanted to rock. I thought about it....it's almost morning anyway and I have to go. So, I put her in my spot in our bed. She and daddy are probably still asleep with how much sleep everyone got last night...Not much.

So, I have searching on the Focus on the Family website. Dr. James Dobson often has great advice for things like this. My goal/prayer is to have addy on a better schedule for when Sawyer gets here. So my deadline is one month. I WILL find a method that works God willing....

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment