Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013

So we're a week into 2013.

 I've always been a "cup half full" kinda gal. Always. It's kinda annoying to some people actually....

I don't know why but Im really excited about what God has planned for our family in 2013. Maybe it's because Matt and I will both enter a new era soon....our 30's!!! Orrrrr maybe it's because our family is complete and now we just have to sit back, relax (ha ya right) and enjoy the ride God has in store for us.

There are a few things that I have been thinking about lately. Contemplating really. Very random I know. I want to remember them so I'm writing them down in hopes they will encourage me (or you) at a later time.

1. I need to stop wasting time thinking about ME in my spare time. The time I have driving to and from work or in the shower or making dinner....I wouldn't necessarily characterize me as a prideful person but pride comes in many shapes and forms. Pride doesn't always have to come in the form of thinking highly of yourself. It also comes in the form of thinking low of yourself or just thinking about yourself too much. Either way, I always want to be more aware of what I do with my "empty time" and what I choose to think about on a daily basis. There are so many ways to worship and thank God for His blessings and I should be dwelling on that throughout the day instead of how long I think it will take me to save up and buy one of those fancy Kitchen Aid Mixers. (for the record, it would take a LONG TIME since they are $300-500 depending on which one you get!)

2. I need to do things to make my husband feel more special. Having two small children, sometimes I find myself accidentally forgetting to hug and kiss him when I get home from work. I just run to the kids and later I'll remember to wrap my arms around his waste and give him a smooch. It's easy to forget on a day to day basis. But let me tell you, the day something happens and he's gone, thats the day I'll miss those sweet kisses. Therefore, I need to be thankful for him daily and show him how much I love him. You get what I"m saying ladies....wink wink nudge nudge.

3. I posted something on Facebook recently. It was about me being nervous and not getting any sleep last night. I officially transferred Sawyer into his nursery/crib for the first time this weekend and have woken up to look at the monitor practicly every 30 min to make sure he's ok. haha. A very wise friend and mentor whom I've known for about 28 years got on and commented on my status. She left me a verse that was very fitting and appropriate:

Psalm 4:8 - "In peace I will lie down in sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me 

dwell in safety." 

I need to remember this verse because I have a worry streak in me that I haven't seemed to get rid of that is worse when they are really young like this. It has lessened with Addy now that she is older and can express herself and say yes and no but I'm just beginning with Sawyer! Lord, you alone keep my children safe at night.


4. I was cleaning, organizing and vacuuming the house today. I stood back and looked at both Addy and Sawyers rooms all clean and neat. There were piles of toys and old clothes that we didn't have room for. It hit me how blessed we are, even as a family of four, living on one salary. We have everything we need and lots of things we don't. I am glad I was raised in a family where we didn't get everything we asked for or wanted. It made the things we did get super special and exciting. I hope I can raise my kids to be thankful and super excited for everything that they have. How do you instill in a child a deep sense of contentment and thankfulness? That is one of my main goals for my children. If I could safely take my kids on a mission trip every year I would, just so they can see how spoiled they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment